These sweet rolls known as Pan de Leche are served for breakfast or Spanish afternoon tea (merienda). Enjoy these plain or with jam and if you really want the whole Spanish experience then serve with a mug of thick Spanish hot chocolate.Print
Spanish Sweet Milk Bread
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cuisine: Desserts
- 500g bread flour
- 25g of baking powder
- 250 ml milk
- 70g melted butter
- 40g of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the flour and baking powder. Then add the egg and milk, sugar, honey and salt and mix everything together.
- Now add the melted butter, and begin to knead the dough. Continue for about 10-15 minutes until it is soft, easy to fold and slightly shiny – it will feel a little sticky in your hands.
- Form the dough into a ball and put into a clean floured mixing bowl. Cover with a cloth and leave in warm place for about two hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, take the dough from the bowl and briefly knead again to remove any gas.
- Now separate the dough into hand-sized portions. Form each one into a rough cylinder and then roll flat to a thickness of about 1cm. Each piece should be in the shape of rectangle. At one end, using a sharp knife make 3 or 4 vertical cuts about 1 cm apart and up to about a third of the length of the rectangle.
- Next, roll up the dough starting at the end you have not cut, and just roll through the cuts. Make sure the ends of the cuts are on the bottom of your rolls so when you put them in the oven so do not spread open.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and before putting the rolls in the oven, brush the surface of each with some milk and then sprinkle over some sugar. Place in the pre-heated oven and cook for 15 mins.