For cold autumn days, a hot soup is one of the best ways to keep you warm and not only does this one most definitely do that, but it is also very low in calories. The creaminess to the soup is achieved with the addition of queso fresco, a creamy soft white cheese and not any cream. So this dish is also a great option if you’re following a calorie controlled diet such as the 5:2 diet, as not only is it very filling but it’s also only 260 kCals per serving. Enjoy this soup together with our Black Olive and Ginger Breadsticks.Print
Creamy Broccoli Soup with Queso Fresco
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 600g broccoli
- 100g queso fresco or feta cheese
- 100g chopped onions
- 1tsp olive oil
- Divide your broccoli into individual florets and then in a saucepan of boiling water cook the broccoli until tender and set aside. Keep some of your cooking water aside just in case at the end your soup is too thick and you want to thin it out a little.
- In a frying pan, add the olive oil and fry your onions until golden. A teaspoon of oil is not that much so if the onions are starting to stick, you can always add a little water.
- Cut your cheese into cubes. If you are doing this recipe on one of your fasting days then just make sure the cheese you are using has 230 kCal per 100gr otherwise the dish will end up being more calories.
- In a food processor or in a mixing bowl using a blender, put all the ingredients together and mix well until you have a creamy soup. If the soup is too thick then add some of the cooking water that you kept aside earlier.
- If you’re not having this soup on one of your fasting days, then serve together with your favourite crackers or breadsticks.
- Serving Size: 2 people
- Calories: 260 per serve