This scrumptious dessert is a frozen ice-cream like dessert which, like its Italian counterpart Semifreddo, has a creamy mousse-like texture. Translated as ‘half cold’, Semifrío is halfway between mousse and ice cream with the consistency of a frozen mousse and the flavour of ice cream. It is lighter than ice cream and one of big advantages of a Semifrío is that unlike ice-cream it does not require any special equipment to make one. They are straightforward and quick to prepare and keep well in the freezer, so are a good option when entertaining. For the base of this Semifrío, we have used Fig Bread (Pan de Higo), a mixture of dried figs, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves and aniseed, that is the traditional way in Spain to preserve figs for the cold winter months and also makes a perfect ready made base.Print
Semifrío de Turrón with Fig Bread & Honey Almond Chocolate Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cuisine: Desserts
- 200g turrón
- 100g icing sugar
- 3 eggs (whites)
- 300ml whipped cream
- 250g fig bread (roughly chopped)
- 1 honey and almond chocolate bar
- 50ml white coffee
- Using a springform cake tin, cover the bottom of your tin with your roughly chopped fig bread. Set to one side.
- Next, in a mixing bowl put your egg whites and the icing sugar and beat together with an electric whisk until the whites form moist stiff shiny peaks. Set to one side.
- Now whip your cream together until it thickens. Make sure it is very cold to start with, as it will thicken more easily.
- Chop or break apart the turrón with your hands and add it to your egg white mixture. Then mix everything together gently using enveloping movements in order not to break the whites.
- Once the turrón has been incorporated, slowly add the whipped cream using the same enveloping movements, so as to maintain a smooth consistency.
- Pour your mixture over your fig bread base in your cake tin and then put in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once it is frozen, and you are ready to eat it, remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving so that you can prepare the hot chocolate sauce.
- In a saucepan melt the almond and honey chocolate bar, or another kind of milk chocolate bar, together with your white coffee. Keep stirring until the chocolate has melted and incorporated with the coffee.
- Open your springform cake tin and remove the semifrío, placing it on a serving plate.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top and serve immediately.