A great recipe for a picnic with friends. Let your creativity get the better of you and be adventurous with your toppings and your presentation. If you prefer a low fat version just don’t add the cheese or the sour cream.Print
Courgette and Onion Tart
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 Large Green Courgette
- 2 Red Onions
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 tsps thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tsps rosemary, finely chopped
- 125ml Sour Cream
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 80gr parmesan cheese
- 1 pre-prepared and baked pastry shell
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel the courgette and slice (approx 2mm slices).
- In a colander, salt layers of courgettes and set aside.
- Put the pastry in the oven at 200C for about 15 minutes. This will help make the pastry less soggy. Use a cake tin with baking paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions, herbs and salt. Gently cook for about 10 minutes until they start to become translucent.
- Dry the courgettes with a kitchen paper.
- Spread the onion mixture in the pastry shell.
- Layer alternate overlapping rows of courgettes on top of the onions (Reserve some courgettes for topping decoration).
- Combine sour cream, parmesan cheese and egg, season and pour over the courgettes and onions layers.
- Put some layers of courgettes on the top to decorate your tart. Add more salt and pepper to taste. You can also use some other herbs, for example sage and saffron.
- Bake at 200C for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.