Breadsticks are served with almost every meal in Spain. Whether to accompany tapas such as cheese, embutidos (cold meat cuts) or pâté or served with the main meal, maybe instead of bread. Even just as a snack. In fact, they pretty much go well with anything. Especially when you can make them with so many different ingredients – seeds, nuts, olives, herbs – all of which will give you different tastes and flavours. For this recipe, we have used a black olive and ginger jam with great results but obviously you can substitute in your favourite chutney. These breadsticks are so easy to do that you really should make sure you always have a batch to hand.Print
Black Olive & Ginger Bread Sticks
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Cuisine: Tapas
- 300g strong white flour
- 15g baking powder
- 10g salt
- 20g sesame seeds
- 100g black olive and ginger jam or your favourite chutney
- 300ml water
- 50ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt and sesame seeds – and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Then add the olive oil and the black olive and ginger jam and mix.
- Slowly add your water to the mixture, stirring as you do to ensure everything is well mixed together.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Then either using a pastry bag or just a wooden spoon, spread out dollops of your dough over the baking paper, shaping them as you want. If you like salty things you can also sprinkle some sea salt on the surface of the bread sticks before baking.
- Put them in your pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, until brown.