These delicious biscuits are great to enjoy for breakfast or for merienda as an afternoon snack. The sweetness of the biscuit dough is offset by the sharp aromatic flavour of the orange marmalade made from Seville oranges, prized for making the world’s finest marmalade. The dough is also flavoured with natural almond oil from Mallorca.Print
Almond Biscuits with Bitter Orange
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Cuisine: Desserts
- 500g strong wholemeal flour
- 125g organic sugar
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp almond oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- orange zest (1 orange)
- 3 tbsp cold water
- seville orange marmalade or another high quality jam
- 1 beaten egg
- Either in a large mixing bowl or with a food processor combine the following ingredients together – flour, sugar, butter, almond oil, whole egg and egg yolks, orange zest and water. Work them together until you have a thick dough.
- Turn the dough onto your work surface and keep working it for about 5 minutes until it becomes less sticky and is shiny and smooth with an elastic feel. Shape it into a ball and then wrap with cling film and put it in the refrigerator for two hours. Chilling will firm up the dough for rolling and cutting and help it to hold its shape and not spread when put in the oven.
- After the two hours, remove it from the refrigerator and split your dough into six smaller pieces. This will make it easier to work with.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and take one of your pieces of dough and first flatten it with your hand. Then with a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is about 2mm thick. Repeat with each of your pieces.
- Now with a cookie cutter, cut out the dough rounds for your biscuits. Half of your rounds will be the bases for your biscuits, the other half will be the lids. Take your lids and make a hole in the centre. These holes can be just circles or another shape of your choosing so feel free to get creative here!
- Now to assemble your biscuits. Lay out your bases on a baking sheet and put a tsp of marmalade in the centre of each base. Cover each biscuit base with one of your lids. Then using a fork press together the edges of your bases and lids.
- Take your beaten egg and brush the lids of of your biscuits. Then put your biscuits in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave them to cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes.