Stuffed aubergines or berenjenas rellenas are a very common Spanish dish. Enjoyed as a tapa or as a main course for a light meal, this is a recipe where you can get creative as the filling can really vary depending on what you have to hand at the time. Introduced to Spain and the Mediterranean by the Arabs in the early Middle Ages the Spanish enjoy aubergines in so many ways, whether roasted in a dish such as an escalivada made of strips of roasted aubergines, sweet peppers, onions and tomatoes, grilled served as a tapa or lightly battered and deep-fried, served with honey.Print
Cod-Stuffed Aubergines with Tupi de Sort Cheese
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Cuisine: Fish
- 2 aubergines (medium size)
- 1 tin cod and piquillos pâté or alternative fish pâté
- 200g button mushrooms (chopped)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 jar tupi de sort cheese, or manchego or other strong melted cheese
- mixed spices: cayenne pepper, oregano
- salt to taste
- 6 tsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Whilst that’s coming to temperature you can prepare your aubergines.
- First cut each aubergine lengthways. Then with a sharp knife, score through and remove the pulp from each half, taking care not to cut through the skin. Put the pulp to one side. Then place the skins on a baking tray and sprinkle each of your aubergine skins with some sea salt and half a teaspoon of olive oil. Put the tray in your preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining two teaspoons of olive oil. Add the pulp of the aubergine you removed from your four halves and cook until soft and brown.
- Remove the aubergine skins from the oven. First add back the aubergine pulp that you cooked in the frying pan. Then spread each half with about 1/4 tin of the pâté and add some cherry tomatoes and button mushrooms. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once again, remove the aubergines from the oven and this time add your cheese, about a tablespoon of tupi de sort. If you’re using an alternative, just make sure it is grated. Again, return the aubergines to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve, first seasoning with your spice mix.